Sunday 17 May 2015

Matt Henshaw Interview in Electric Magazine


When did you decide a career in music was for you and when did you get your first break/gig in the music industry?

It's the only thing I feel like I could possibly be doing, I think the straw that broke the camels back was sitting in an office day-in-day-out, I'm almost envious of the people that can do that. I'm always waiting on my Big Break, I think that's the nature of most artists, even those playing Wembley are surely thinking about what's next ?!

Who or what inspires you in life and in music?

My Mrs, it might sound corny, but she's my best friend, and I wouldn't be doing any, and I mean anything, if it wasn't for her ... and everytime I do something I always think "would my dad approve of this?" usually I'm sure he probably wouldn't care, but I always think it anyway.

How would you answer the question …...Who is Matt Henshaw?

Me, I'm Matt Henshaw. I think the proper answer would probably be "singer-songwriter from Nottingham", but seriously though, I'm still trying to figure it out for myself.

Can you tell me three things about yourself that people might not already know?

My great uncle played in the 1951 FA Cup first round for Ilkeston Town FC, I've got a false tooth and I had a lazy left eye as a little kid, but he perked up around the age of 11.

What has been your biggest achievement to date, what was your biggest career regret and is there anything you want to achieve in the future?

I've packed a fair amount into the year and a half I've been doing this, I think the thing that makes me the happiest is be able to go and play shows in 7 different countries over the last nine months, 5 of which I'd never been to before. And luckily I haven't been doing it long enough to have any major regrets.

I know 15 year old Matt Henshaw wanted to be in a band, play the Albert Hall, the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool, and be on Soccer AM, so I think I'll stick with them, for him, and I don't think that's too much to ask, do you?

What in your opinion is the best festival performance you have seen from another act either live or on TV?

Toots and the Maytals at Glastonbury, hands down, always, I don't think anyone could make everyone smile and jump around so much on a sunny afternoon down south.

What was the first record you ever bought?

Definitely Maybe by Oasis, went in at number one on my 7th birthday. So many things made so much more sense after that.

What can we expect from you at the Festivals,what will you do before and after your set and who else’s Festival performance are you looking forward to seeing?

My songs, by me, for everyone else. Might have a few stories to tell seeing as I've been such a travelling troubador over the last year, but mainly the songs. Not sure, I like comedy tents at festivals because you can sit down and have a cup of tea, and hopefully have a laugh. There are so many festivals now, it's confusing, I think the best ones are where it doesn't matter who's on, it's the experience of it all, but I'm intrigued to see where my mate Martin Luke Brown will pop up this year and next.

If you had to give up the music industry for another career what would you do and why?

Gardener, somewhere a bit warmer than here though. I love it, although I'm not sure if I "worked" as a gardener it would be as enjoyable, because it's something I do to relax and take my time and mill about when I'm not busy making music, or phone calls.

What do you do before and after you have been on stage and what is it like for you to play live?

Tea, but I suppose that's before, during and after. I don't really have any other routines or rituals, playing live for me is like the most natural thing in the world.

Can you tell me one story from a time backstage, on tour or at a Festival?

I've met some incredible people on the road, and some famous people I suppose, but the only two people I've ever asked to have a photograph with are Bill Bailey and Will Young ... I'm not usually one for asking for autographs or that kind of thing, so, I'll be honest, I knew Will Young was in a hurry and late for something, so I had asked for a couple of photographs in spite of this for my own amusement, but because he was so polite and nice about it I do feel a bit awful about that, I think he missed the start of a Grace Jones performance or something, not too bad.

What does the rest of 2015 have in store for you and when can we expect new music from you?

My new single 'Easier' is coming out on September 10th, it'll be available for pre-order on August 13th, there'll be a video and all the usual stuff. After that and all the festivals are done no doubt I'll hit the road again, all work and no play brother. Peace, Love & Tea.

Matt Henshaw Interview


Home
Previous Interviews 2015
May Tour Dates
Always Changing Chart
Fantasy Band
See It Live
May Album Releases
More
Like and Follow Us Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment